Una Boca Saludable
Caring for Colorado Foundation
Evolve Communications began the Una Boca Saludable project in May 2008 with a grant from the Dental Trade Alliance Foundation. Since that time, the project has been funded by The Colorado Health Foundation and the Caring for Colorado Foundation. Now with a fresh round of funding from Caring for Colorado, the project will continue its objective to reach Spanish speaking Latinos in Denver with vital oral health care information. The first two project phases were based on outreach utilizing mass media. However for this phase, the project will employ a different methodology, utilizing the skills and cultural competence of Health Promotoras (female Spanish speaking lay health workers) to teach basic evidence based oral health care skills at five Hispanic/Latino serving community based organizations. Evolve Communications will be joined on this project by Total Oral Prevention Strategies (TOPS) and CREA Results. Together, they are the project partners.
The project goals are as follows:
- To educate Spanish speaking Hispanic/Latino families in Denver about the importance of oral health care, utilizing the Health Promotora model.
- To train 25 Spanish speaking Health Promotoras on basic evidence-based oral health care skills and information.
- The newly trained promotoras will then work with five partner organizations to train a minimum of 100 community members (women, their children and other family members and caregivers) on basic evidence-based oral health care skills.
- Trained community members will be encouraged to host educational events at church, school, and community gatherings, to disseminate their learning to other members of the community. The project partners will support up to 20 such events by the end of July, 2010.
- As part of these activities, a 5-minute video in English and Spanish will be created to demonstrate the skills and knowledge base offered by the project. The video will enable the partners and community organizers to continue to disseminate information once the project has ended.